[HOW TO DIMINISH THE DRAIN OF ANXIETY] Philippians 4.4-9 10.22.2017
Depleted: Refilling Your Soul When You’re Running on Fumes | CFA | Pastor Tracy Cook
TEXT Philippians 4.4-9 ESV
4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
- REJOICE IN THE LORD ALWAYS.
1 Thessalonians 5.16 “Rejoice always”
“Joy is an expression of active confidence in the Lord.” – William Menzies
- BE REASONABLE.
Be: ready to forgive, fair-minded, gracious, large-hearted, or reasonable
What should be our attitude toward those in the world:
- Do not have an inflexible personality
- Do not speak of compromising in doctrine
- LISTEN to others
- LET GOD’S PEACE BE YOUR GUARD AND GUIDE.
5 reasons prayer cures worry:
- Through prayer we renew our trust in the Lord’s faithfulness by casting our anxiety on Him, 1 Peter 5.7-8.
- God’s peace comes to guard our hearts and minds as a result of our communion with Jesus Christ, Colossians 3.15.
- God strengthens us to do all the things He desires of us, Ephesians 3.16.
- We receive mercy, grace, help in time of need, Hebrews 4.16.
- We are assured that in all things god works for our good, Romans 8.28.
- FOCUS YOUR THINKING.
Isaiah 26.3 ESV
3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
- PRACTICE YOUR FAITH.
To have the peace of God you gotta have the God of peace!