HERE’S THE SET-UP
Hosea 1.2 “When the Lord first began speaking to Israel through Hosea, he said to him, “Go and marry a prostitute, so that some of her children will be conceived in prostitution. This will illustrate how Israel has acted like a prostitute by turning against the Lord and worshiping other gods.”
- His name means “salvation.”
- Born, raised, and preached in the Northern Kingdom of Israel all his life
- Hosea’s prophecy is a real-life object lesson: an unhappy family life depicting God’s relentless love for his people in spite of their unfaithfulness.
“If you would understand the Gospel of Jesus, his view of God, his love of mankind, read Hosea.” – Frank S. Mead
HOSEA’S CHILDREN (Hosea Chapter 1):
- Jezreel (son) / “Bloodshed”
- Lo-ruhamah (daughter) / “Not pitied” or “not loved”
- Lo-ammmi (son) / “Not my people”
- God’s Love Risks Reputation
Hosea’s message is more about Covenant relationship than keeping Mosaic law.
- God’s Love Requires Repentance when Rejected
Hosea 4.6 “My people are being destroyed because they don’t know me.
Hosea 8.13 “The people love to offer sacrifices to me, feasting on the meat, but I do not accept their sacrifices….”
- God’s Love Results in Restoration
Hosea 10.12 “I said, ‘Plant the good seeds of righteousness, and you will harvest a crop of love. Plow up the hard ground of your hearts, for now is the time to seek the Lord, that he may come and shower righteousness upon you.’”
Hosea 6.1-3 “Oh, that we might know the Lord! Let us press on to know him. He will respond to us as surely as the arrival of dawn or the coming of rains in early spring.”